Before arriving at any of U-Store-It’s 8 conveniently located self storage facilities in Adelaide, take a moment to consider how to plan and pack your storage unit with precision. Storage unit prices are determined by size, so why not save yourself some money by estimating the essential items that require storage and planning to store these items as efficiently and economically as possible. It goes without saying, a smaller unit, packed correctly will be far more beneficial than a larger unit that is poorly organised.
There are a couple of important things to take into consideration when packing a self storage unit. First and foremost, it is vital that you can quickly and easily access the items you are planning to store, if and when you need them most. The last thing you want to be doing is unpacking (and re-packing) an entire storage unit to search for the long-lost colander moments before your dinner guests arrive.
Secondly, it is imperative that you carefully pack your most precious items when keeping your household goods in storage, even though Adelaide’s undercover storage specialists offer self storage insurance options. These are your possessions and there are actions you can take, apart from covering them in bubble wrap, that will help protect your items during their time in a storage facility.
Self Storage Tips
- Store your largest items first.
- If you’re planning to store bulky items or heavy boxes speak with the U-Store-It team to discuss the use of our truck or trailer. Furthermore, many storage facilities offer trolleys and other equipment to ensure your storage experience is as stress free as possible.
- If you are planning to hire a large storage unit, try to leave enough room for an aisle so you can quickly and easily access the items you may need to return to the facility for on a regular basis or the odd occasion.
- If you’re stacking your storage unit with boxes or crates, always ensure you put the heaviest boxes at the base to prevent damage or collapse.
- Pack boxes and comparably sized household goods together to minimise space.
- Prevent furniture from leaning against external walls.
- If there are any items that you’ll need to access frequently be sure to store these items towards the front of your storage unit.
- Pack anything that’s hollow (cabinets, washing machines, fridges, etc.) with small boxes and other goods to make the most of your available space.
- Be sure to label boxes and containers and stack these items appropriately so that you can quickly see what each item holds.
- Wedge open the doors of all appliances (fridges, freezers, microwaves, etc.) when in storage to avoid bad smells and to prevent mould and grime from building up.
- Never store anything in the facility vertically that you believe may be unsteady. Shaky or rickety items can be stored horizontally.
These simple, yet effective storage tips will make your entire self-storage experience far more pleasant, but if you’re still unsure about the best solution for your storage requirements, simply pick up the phone and speak to a member of the friendly team at U-Store-It.
Remember, packing your items correctly to begin with will save you time and money, whilst also ensuring your goods are maintained in the best possible condition whilst in storage. Also, don’t forget to make use of the specialist packaging materials at your local self storage facility in Adelaide, from high quality boxes, bubble wrap and much more.
Your goods are safe with U-Store-It, store with complete confidence.